Wednesday 29 August 2012

Double Act! PB &J and a Panini


Warning: Today’s post contains 2 waffle recipes


Shel Silverstein’s “Peanut-Butter Sandwich” poem compliments today’s post like peanut-butter compliments jam. Here is an excerpt:

“I’ll sing you a story of a silly young king

Who played with the world at the end of a string,

But he only loved one single thing
And that was just a peanut-butter sandwich.”

Everyone knows the kid he is writing about. He’s your neighbour who only eats ham sandwiches; she’s your sister who only eats frosted flakes for breakfast; and, he’s my silly cousin who only eats peanut-butter sandwiches. My cousin, the most warm-hearted twelve year-old boy I’ve met, is more adventurous of course. Yet he prefers peanut-butter sandwiches and hotdogs over anything else. 

After a weekend spent conquering me at Risk and whipping my behind in Monopoly, I decided it was time I show him something. So I brought him back to my apartment to make waffles! Knowing his favourite foods were limited, peanut-butter jelly sandwich waffles were an obvious decision.




PB & J waffles (from Dorie Greenspan’s cookbook)
1 ¼ cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
cinnamon
3 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 eggs, separated
1 ¼ cups milk
1 ½ tbsp melted butter

Mix dry. Mix yolks and peanut-butter with a spatula. Stir in milk to yolk mixture. Combine wet and dry. Stir in melted butter. Beat whites until stiff. Fold whites into batter. Serve with jam.



Waffle Paninis! 

Earlier this week, I made grilled-cheese sandwiches out of waffles! These make a perfect lunch, especially if you are using up leftover waffles. I filled them with red-pepper jelly and cheese and grilled them in a panini pan. You could put whatever you want in them.  



Apple-Onion Quinoa Waffles for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

1 cup quinoa flour
½ cup all purpose (or more)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1 apple, skinned
1 onion, caramelized

2 eggs
1 cups milk
½ cup water
2 tbsp butter, melted

2 comments:

  1. Looks super yummy! You better me making me a lavish meal consisting solely of waffle recipes when I see you at Christmastime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely I will! I might have to take extra luggage home to include Polly the waffle maker! :)

      Delete