Friday 24 August 2012

Happy National Waffle Day!


In less than a week’s time, I’ve made 2 waffle recipes, I’ve taken up 30 square inches in the freezer saving the leftovers, and I’ve wasted more time than I can afford to calculate updating my blog. What these play-by-play statistics mean, is I need a heck of an excuse to justify making more waffles. Luckily for me, I’ve got two!

The first excuse, comes in the form of a good friend of mine, who shares my passion for delicious cooking. Yesterday, she was coming over for lunch. Knowing full well she had been an avid supporter of my blog, I deemed it unfair to have her leave waffle-satisfied-less. 

Tamar, enjoying her waffles!
The second excuse, is one all American waffle eaters can understand. Today is National Waffle day. (Do not confuse International Waffle day on March 25th). National Waffle day is the anniversary for the first waffle iron patent in North America. Of course the history of waffles in America, and not to mention internationally, dates farther back. I’ll save the history lesson for another day. Nevertheless, some bloke designated August 24th as National Waffle day, and, fortunately for me, gave me an excuse to make waffles two days in a row! 

Call them pizza waffles, or call them focaccia waffles — regardless, yesterday's recipe was a crowd pleaser. Even if the crowd was only one friend.   

Focaccia Waffles with Caramelized Onions, Walnuts, Parmesan, and Havarti

1 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 ½ tsp baking powder
pinch salt
cracked peppercorn
rosemary
thyme
basil
oregano
1 ½ cups milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp Olive oil

1 Red Onion
salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp balsamic

walnuts, coarsely chopped
Havarti, parmesan, grated
Pesto or olive oil or pizza sauce

In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, blend milk and eggs. Pour wet over dry and combine. Fold in olive oil. Make waffles on grid.

Caramelize onions.

Preheat oven to 400. Take a waffle, brush with pesto (or olive oil, or pizza sauce). Generously spread caramelized onions. Sprinkle cheese, then walnuts. Bake until cheese is melted (apx 10 minutes).  

No comments:

Post a Comment